Eco-designed packaging service for the distribution of fresh food products
For Pandobac in 2020
- Launched in 2018, Pandobac offers an eco-designed packaging service that replaces existing packaging for the transport of fresh foods, from wholesalers at Rungis International Market to restaurateurs. Pandobac’s solution is then a reusable packaging service for companies in the fresh produce transport sector. It includes the provision of reusable transport bins and a support service to ensure their long-term reuse. It also offers follow-up and cleaning services at its washing center located in Rungis International Market.
- Understand and prioritize the environmental issues of the PANDOBAC reusable packaging service.
- Conceive and design a functional, eco-designed packaging system that conveys PANDOBAC’s identity.
- Define an eco-design action plan to be implemented during the production and marketing phases of the service.
- Support PANDOBAC in the implementation of the eco-design action plan.
- Provide the elements allowing the valorization of the eco-design approach
- PANDOBAC contacted Mu during the business creation phase to ensure the overall environmental benefit of the project. PANDOBAC wishes to reduce waste and to rationalize packaging by promoting service economy and economy of functionality, maximize its interest in current packaging and encourage producers, wholesalers and restaurateurs to change their behavior.
- A first test carried out in 2019 and 2020 to evaluate the Pandobac service.
- A first prototype produced in 2020 to make the new bins available.
- Implementation of a systemic eco-design approach beyond the design of the bin:
-To extend the lifespan of the reusable bins through the traceability of the bins with an application specific to Pandobac and the integration of QRCode.
-A French production, stackable, built-in bins adapted to conventional pallets to reduce the impact of transport phases.
-The reuse of the bins necessarily leads to their washing. The reduction of the environmental impact of the washing phase has been materialised by : Deploying a washing centre at Rungis International Market as close as possible to the customers, supplying this centre with 100% renewable energy, investing in an adapted washing tunnel that uses little water and electricity.
-The integration of a specific consumable part for the transport phases in order to protect the bottoms of the bins and renew only the consumable parts.
- The benefit of the Pandobac reusable solution is guaranteed from 40 reuses. Thus Pandobac, through its service and application, does everything possible to maximise the use of each bin.
To find out more, www.pandobac.com
“Working with Mu cooperative allowed us to provide data to support our environmental approach and to develop our solution while avoiding the pitfall of the “false good idea.” Anais Ryterbanb, co-founder of Pandobac
SEE ALSO ...